Sunday, January 13, 2013

Day 10 - Free Day


Hello faithful readers!  My name is Chris Hughes and I am a junior vocal music major with a minor in communication studies.  I am a tenor in Collegiate choir and outside music activities I participate in Greek life.  This trip has been an absolute blast and it is great to study live performances in such an amazing city.
Today I went with a small group to the Warner Brother’s Studio Tour to see their current The Making of Harry Potter” exhibit.  We had to board a bus at 7:15 am that took us to the museum.  That seemed quite early at the time but when I got to the bus I saw that it was plastered with Harry Potter posters and I got very excited.  We arrived at the museum around 9:00 am.  We were able to see the actual sets, props, and costumes used in the movies.  I was so excited I was running around like all the little kids that were there.  The first room you walk into is the actual great hall from Hogwarts, it was like every child’s dream.  The next room was very large and filled with various sets; like the Gryffindor common room, Weasley’s kitchen, Dumbledore’s officeHagrid’s hut, and much more including props and costumes.  My favorite part was the scale model of Hogwarts that was used for the fly over shots.  I couldn’t believe the detail put into this miniature model.  They used actual stone bricks to build it.  The soundtrack from the films was playing and it really put you into the world of Harry Potter.  Going on this tour was like reliving my childhood and I highly recommend seeing this amazing attraction to anyone that travels to England.
I did not have any plans for the rest day after the tour.  Some classmates asked me if I wanted to go see the musical Wicked and I said “Of course!”  So I bought my ticket offline and ten minutes later we hopped on the tube.  The set for the show was very cool.  It was very intricate with lots of moving pieces.  My favorite part was Defying Gravity.  The girl who played Elphabastole the show in this song.  I don’t understand how she could be belting such high notes while flying around stage in a harness.  I just couldn’t get past the British accents because I had listened to the older soundtrack of the musical before.  I just kept expecting things to sound different.  All in all Wicked was pretty wicked and I’d love to see it again.





No comments:

Post a Comment