Sunday, January 20, 2013

Day 17 - to Glasgow

Greetings...blog readers! Nice to meet you. I'm Ally Fillmore, a sophomore studying art and communications. Lucky for you, I get to do today's blog post to make light of the crazy day that we just had. From forgetting a phone, not minding the gap, getting lost trying to find the station, train delays, today was a little unlucky for some of us. 

My day started around 6:30 am when I had to pull myself out of bed at the Nottingham Holiday Inn. We hopped on a connector train to Glasgow. When we got to the station where we were to switch trains, we got good and found that our next train was delayed...90 minutes later...Yey! The train!

The ride was gorgeous once all of our toes thawed after standing in all of the flurries. We all agreed that the countryside was amazing to see. The different places that we've been to seem very similar. Let's be honest, it's cool being abroad, but buildings are everywhere. It was nice to see what things are like outside of the cities. 

After miles and miles of sheep, snow, streams, countryside, and run down towns we made it to Glasgow. How do I know? I was greated by graffiti saying, "Welcome to Glasgow" as we pulled into the central station. Definitely a different crowd here, maybe it's just because it's a saturday night. 

We're staying in a hostel with all of the girls in one room and all of the guys in one room. Let's just say that it could be worse. After getting settled in, we had a Celtic concert to go to. Definitely a new experience. People speaking in Gaelic, bagpipes, mandolins, fiddles, the works. I loved it until we hit the 3 hour mark of the concert and I mentally checked out. Don't get me wrong, I loved it! But it was a long day! After a chilly walk back, we all crashed in our beds and listened to the glamorous sounds of the hostel. 

We'll see what tomorrow brings!
Ally


No comments:

Post a Comment