Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 4 - A Day Off


Hello all! I am Shafer Stromwall, sophomore music major. I am a trumpet player and vocalist at Luther. Here in London, I've taken on the role of "mother duck", as I seem to have a knack for leading groups of 8 or more through crowded streets without losing anyone. Fear not, your ducklings won't get lost on my watch!

Anyway, today was our first day off in London. Every day so far has had some free time built in, but today the only scheduled activity was tea time, so we've had plenty of time to roam the streets looking for things to do. Some of us took advantage of this and woke up early to attend a London church service at St. Paul's Cathedral. Others (myself included) decided that sleeping in one day a week couldn't hurt.

Although today was a free day, we didn't necessarily get a break from our studies. Once a fair amount of people were awake, we left for the Science Museum to start on a museum assignment. We were tasked to create a guided tour of a free museum any way we choose. I'd reveal my map in progress, but I don't want to give away the surprise for the person who'll be receiving my map.

After a short trip on the tube and a long walk through a tunnel, we came upon the Science Museum. However, we didn't come upon the *entrance* to the Museum. So we started walking around the building. We must have walked the wrong way, because the first entrance we found was the Natural History Museum. Not wanting to walk any longer, we went inside and explored for a few hours. We returned from the museum about an hour before tea time.

After tea, a few of us set out for Westminster to see Big Ben after dark.  It was a great sight to be had, especially when the London Eye was just behind us. We decided to do some walking along the Thames, and got as far as the Millennium Bridge before turning to the nearest tube station to head back for the night. Tomorrow we start class again bright and early!







No comments:

Post a Comment