Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 3 - Handel House

Greetings from London! This is Alison Smith, a sophomore at Luther College. I am a economics and political science major. I am singing in the choirs at Luther and taking voice lessons. Listening and performing music is my greatest passion in life and this trip is a great way to hear more!

Today was another great day :) This morning several of the students went shopping on Notting Hill. I heard that it was an excellent marketplace.... notice how I did not include myself in this excursion. At 8:30 this morning, I was happily snuggled in my bed. But I heard that there were a lot of antiques, food and jewelry. After the marketplace, we met as a group. 

Today we learned about George Friderick Handel and his music. After class, we traveled across town in the underground "Tube" to Handels' house. His home was built in the 1800th century. Handels house was restored to its original state, including, many of the original floor boards. The house had several owners after Handel passed, one of the owners was Jimmy Hendrix! Jimmy claimed that the ghost of Handel came to him in is sleep... but  we are pretty sure this was a side effect from the drugs he was on. Touring the house was a great experience because we were able to see his composition room. In this room, he composed the Messiah and several other compositions. When the tour was over, a concert was given inside the house. The Listening Live group had our own private performance of a duet between a harpsichord and a soprano solist. 

Four of my girl friends and I went down Oxford street and saw a lot of great shops. We were able to fit in with the locals shopping on a Saturday afternoon. We took the underground "Tube" to Portobello road. All of the clothes were under 30 pounds (48 US dollars). Needless to say, we had a good time. After countless hours of shopping, we went out to dinner at a place less than a block from our hotel. It was a delicious burger restaurant. I know, it sounds a little "American" BUT  the meat was from Scotland and we tried some Persian cheese. After a full day, we are spending some time in the room and planning on a full day of sightseeing tomorrow! 








1 comment:

  1. Singing is that the act of manufacturing musical sounds with the voice, and augments regular speech by the employment of each musical notation and rhythm. I am very impress with your vocal course opportunity.
    Singing Lessons London.

    ReplyDelete